Former Police Commissioner Testifies That Jamaica Was Fortunate Security Forces Responded To Dudus Coke’s Tivoli Gunmen

Jamaica Security ForcesThe former Chief of the Jamaican Defense Force stated in his testimony that Jamaica was fortunate that the security forces responded in May 2010 to the threat posed by gunmen associated with then Tivoli Gardens don Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke. At the same time, he expressed deep disappointment with the level of social intervention in Tivoli Gardens following the security forces’ operation to arrest Coke.

Ellington, the former police commissioner, made the remarks while being questioned by Professor Anthony Harriott, a member of the panel of three commissioners looking into the operation by the security forces in May 2010 to apprehend Coke — who also goes by the name Omar Clarke — and restore law and order to the West Kingston area and sections of the Corporate Area and St Catherine.

“Jamaica is fortunate that the security forces responded to the threat as quickly as they did and with the impact it had,” Ellington said, adding at one point that “it would be anybody’s guess where Coke’s office would be today” if his Presidential Click criminal gang was successful in its bid to spread the resources of the security forces thin, and broke its will with its planned co-ordinated attacks.

Ellington likened the gang to “insurgents” and said that it presented itself as a “surrogate government”, which sought to expand its power and “perhaps political influence”. He also said that the gang threatened the operation of the Government with its targeted attacks leading up to the May 24, 2010 operation that led to the death of just over 70 civilians. A member of the Jamaica Defence Force was killed in the operation and several other members of the security forces injured.

“We were left with no choice,” Ellington said, noting that the police did everything they could to avoid a violent confrontation with the gang, and again expressed regret at the loss of civilian lives.

Coke is now serving time in the United States following his extradition.

Yesterday, Ellington said he was disappointed with the social intervention in the community. “I am very, very disappointed that not much has happened, save and except for the work of the security forces. If you go there you will see that the police and soldiers have become permanent fixtures and you will see the work they are doing on the ground,” he said.

“If we had followed with improved political leadership and better economic opportunity for the citizenship we would not be here contemplating the future of Tivoli Gardens and other marginalised communities across Jamaica,” he said in response to questions from Harriott.

Questioned by Peter Champagnie, one of the attorneys for the Jamaica Defence Force, Ellington said “all the elements were there” to make the circumstances surrounding the efforts by criminals to prevent the apprehension of Coke a war against the State. He said that, in his 30-plus years in the force, he had never seen anything like it.

The former top cop added that he described the situation to the Government as a “challenge to the sovereignty” of the State.

He testified also that the police got intelligence that an aeroplane with illegal weapons landed at the airstrip in Vernamfield, Clarendon, days before the operation to apprehend Christopher Coke commenced.

The former top cop said he had not immediately been made aware of the report of the illegal shipment.

He testified also that it had been reported by police, who were by the Kingston Harbour, that 15 row boats with heavily armed men were heading toward Portmore in St Catherine.

Jamaica Observer

An Ex-Associate Of Dancehall Artist Vybz Kartel Killed In St Catherine Drive By

vybz
Dancehall artist Vybz Kartel

A man known to be the former associate of Vybz Kartel, businessman Jamie Ridley was shot during a drive by this morning in the Portmore, St. Catherine parish of Jamaica.

Ridley’s girlfriend “Poochie”, a well known entertainment personality was also shot in ambush.

The incident happened during a fish fry held by Portmore dance personality, Diamond.

The only person killed in the drive by was the 34-year-old businessman Jamie Ridley.

According to local news reports, the incident occurred at about 1:30 am, when a Toyota Corolla pulled up, occupied by an unknown number of gunmen, and allegedly opened gunfire hitting Ridley and two others.

An off duty officer was at the scene, but the shooters were still able to escape.

Ridley’s girlfriend, “Poochie” was taken to hospital.

As of now, there has been no known motive for the shooting.

Stay tuned to The Pen Hustle

Former Police Says The Shower Posse Gang Led By Christopher Coke Was Highly Organized and ‘Deadly’

dudus1
Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke

Retired Police Commissioner Owen Ellington says the nation is fortunate that the security forces were able to repel the attack on the state by the Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke led Shower Posse back in 2010.

Ellington, who was testifying before the West Kingston Commission of Enquiry this morning, again expressed regret at the loss of lives during the three-day police-military operations but insisted that the security forces were “left with no choice.”

“It was an attack on the state and if they (Shower Posse) had succeeded in repelling the security forces it’s anybody’s guess where Coke’s office would be today,” he said in response to questions from one of the commissioners Professor Anthony Harriott.

He painted a picture of a Shower Posse that, in 2010, was highly organised and deadly.

“They are other gangs that can produce violence but not on the level of the Presidential Click”, he said in reference to one of the many moniker for Coke’s gang.

The retired top cop said intelligence at the time showed that Coke had long term ambition to expand his power and influence across the entire island.