A one-time convicted murderer and Detroit drug kingpin Frank Usher is back in handcuffs.
Frank Lee Usher got a life sentence for murdering and beheading three people back in the 1980s, but he was a free man ever since a successful appeal in 1994 – until now.
On Thursday morning, Usher’s Southfield home was raided, accused of selling heroin to undercover federal agents.
Police once believed he may have been involved in 15 murders but he was convicted of three. He was also previously convicted of aggravated assault and a felon in possession of a firearm.
Usher was sent to Jackson Prison, sentenced to life for a triple murder in 1979 that shocked the city. Two men and a woman were shot multiple times, beheaded with their hands cut off at the Federated Democratic Club on the east side.
Usher was one of five charged with the murders. After serving 15 years he had his sentence overturned on appeal by a technicality.
Investigators say Usher sells heroin with another suspect at a second house on St. Aubin and E. McNichols.
FOX 2 had the only cameras rolling as ATF agents and Wayne County deputies take Usher into custody.
Usher told a judge that he is retired from a restaurant position since 2002. Prosecutors say he is able to pay for a large residence on Webster near Southfield and 12 Mile.
Agents seized Usher’s black Ford F-150 truck while at the same time the house was being raided on St. Aubin and three other suspects taken into custody.
Some who live near the drug house say that it has been a source of danger and fear.
“Yeah, I wish they could get rid of all of them,” said a neighbor. “We’ve got kids around here.”
No bond was given for Usher, 71, whose past convictions are being reviewed.
He will be held in Wayne County Jail until a possible arraignment Friday in court.
See more, including the video at MY Fox Detroit
“I killed them because they were assholes who snitched on me, when I didn’t do anything to them, and only helped everybody,” Gomez said in an audio file released in November.
“But I know I’ll eventually pay for it.”
Three months later, the leader of the Knights Templar cartel fell.
A former primary school teacher, Gomez, known widely as “La Tuta,” was apprehended in Morelia, Michoacan state. It was the Mexican government’s most significant arrest since the capture of notorious Sinaloa cartel leader Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, which occurred almost exactly a year before.
The arrest came at around 3 am at a hot dog stand in downtown Morelia, after what the Mexican president referred to as “months of investigation.” The detention, authorities said, unfolded without incident.
In a video released to Mexican news outlets taken in the hours after Gomez’s arrest, the drug lord appears at ease but recalcitrant, saying he was arrested “because I’m a criminal.”
“Because I led a gang of pendejos,” or idiots, he said.
Birthday cake mistake
The Gomez capture was marked by a series of events reminiscent of the days Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein spent in hiding before he was captured.
Gomez, increasingly isolated by the pursuing authorities and pressured by his cartel and autodefensa rivals, evaded police for months by hiding out in a bat-filled cave, Mexico’s federal police commissioner told the news agency EFE in an interview.
The cave had previously served as a holding cell for detainees. Gomez, 49, spent his final free months in “misery,” commissioner Enrique Galindo told EFE.
By early February, authorities had narrowed the search down to one of ten properties. A messenger whose phone was tapped finally led authorities to his location.
On February 6, a girlfriend of Gomez named Maria Antonieta Luna Ávalos visited him along with others who brought food and drinks, including a chocolate birthday cake, which was found in the refrigerator at his home at time of his arrest.
Hours after Gomez’s capture, his brother Flavio Gomez Martinez was detained in the city of Merida on the Yucatan peninsula, in possession of firearms and narcotics, authorities said. Six other people linked to Gomez have also detained.
“We now have 90 of the 122 most dangerous [people] detained,” Mexican interior minister Osorio Chong said.
Read the FULL STORY on Vice News.
See more pictures, including the now infamous chocolate birthday cake that led to his capture.
Will Mexican drug lord Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán become more famous now that he is behind bars than when he was hiding in secret tunnels and sewers? It’s hard to tell, but two weeks after his headline-grabbing arrest in Mexico, a new documentary about the life of this nearly mythical figure made its world premiere at the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.
According to those who have watched The Legend Of Shorty, a 90 minute British documentary co-directed by British filmmaker Angus MacQueen and Peruvian journalist Guillermo Galdós, the film is a blend of mythology and hard facts. The Guardian’s film critic Henry Barnes wrote that The Legend of Shorty follows MacQueen and Galdós as they head out on their own investigation into the whereabouts of the world’s biggest drug dealer. “With extraordinary access to the cartel the pair travel to Mexico’s Golden Triangle, bear witness to the batch-loads of cocaine, meth and marijuana being prepared for transport and take part in long, often surreal meetings with Chapo’s inner circle, including a lunch date with his mum,” Barnes wrote.
McQueen told Spain’s Efe wire service that they didn’t think their lives were in danger when they were filming, because they are foreigners. There is a general belief that foreign nationals, whether tourists or otherwise, tend to be less physically vulnerable than Mexican nationals.
It is not clear if MacQueen and Galdós tried and failed to interview El Chapo before he was caught. In any event, the Mexican Navy and the DEA beat them to it when they found the drug lord still in bed at an oceanfront condominium in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, his home state, in the early hours of February 22. The arrest put an end to an international manhunt that has made a mockery of U.S. and Mexican law-enforcement over the past 13 years.
Barnes writes that the film’s directors recruited songwriter Jackson Scott to compose folk songs in English and Spanish telling tales about the past of one the world’s richest outlaws: “We hear how Chapo escaped from a maximum security prison by hiding in a laundry cart, we watch the film-makers compare the kingpin to Zorro, racing through the countryside, answering the call of the common man.”
In an effort to balance what appears to be a friendly portrait of the man responsible for introducing 25% of the illegal drugs into the U.S. market –including 50% of the heroine– the film discusses the bloody war on drugs and the 80,000 deaths that have resulted from it. Mexican journalist Anabel Hernández, author of Narcoland: The Mexican Drug Lords and Their Godfathers, offers “a vital counter-point to the intoxicating legend”, as Barnes puts it, by accusing the Mexican government of protecting El Chapo while he turned his business into a word-wide criminal empire that has no precedent in history.
Barnes calls The Legend of Shorty “an impressive film” and says that El Chapo’s unexpected arrest does not annul its purpose: “To suggest so is to assume that El Chapo’s empire is locked up with the man. That a corporation shuts down because the CEO is absent.”
On that, Barnes has a point. There seems to be a wide consensus, both inside and outside Mexico, that El Chapo’s arrest will change little. “He will have a laptop, [his prison] will turn into a hotel, and he will return to running the cartel from there,” a senior DEA official told The Guardian last month. “That is not something he has to build – it is something he already has.”
Since 2009, El Chapo has been included in Forbes’ World’s Most Powerful People list.
Originally posted on Forbes.com
Former Tivoli Gardens don Christopher ‘Dudus Coke is said to have sent a message to Prime Minister Bruce Golding in May 2010 demanding that he “find a way to deal with this” or “come good” if he intended to apprehend him for extradition to the United States.
Former Commissioner of Police Owen Ellington testified yesterday, during the continuation of the Tivoli enquiry at the Jamaica Conference Centre, that the message came through the Reverend Al Miller, whom he had asked to speak to Coke about turning himself in to the police.
Ellington testified that he had asked Miller and then Political Ombudsman Bishop Herro Blair to speak with Coke with the view of securing his peaceful surrender.
He said he spoke with the two clergymen between May 18 and 24, 2010 on the request of a then Government minister, whom he did not identify during his testimony — a stance with which Commission Chairman Sir David Simmons took issue.
“[Rev Miller] returned two days later and said to me, ‘I saw the man and the man say to me that if it was the PNP in power they would know how to deal with it. Tell Bruce Golding to find a way to deal with it. I’m not going anywhere, and if him a come fi mi him haffi come good’,” Ellington said Miller reported back to him.
He said Miller contacted him after the start of the May 24 operation to apprehend Coke to say that he had secured the surrender of a brother and sister of Coke, and that he was still trying to secure the surrender of the then Tivoli Gardens don.
He said he had asked Blair first to talk with Coke about a peaceful surrender. He said Blair, who also went to see Coke in Tivoli Gardens, reported back that Coke said he will not be surrendering. Blair, Ellington testified, said he has had dealings with the military, and that he’d never seen so many rifles in his life as he saw in Tivoli Gardens.
“[He said] he would be praying for me and my officers,” Ellington testified during his evidence-in-chief from Deborah Martin, one of the attorneys for the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).
Prior to Ellington taking the stand at the enquiry looking into the operation to apprehend Coke, Golding who was called back to be questioned by Martin and Queen’s Counsel Jacqueline Samuels-Brown (Miller’s lawyer), said he was “guardedly optimistic” about Miller getting Coke to surrender. He testified that he knew that Miller had contact with the United States Embassy and the police high command about getting Coke to surrender.
Seventy-four civilians were killed in the operation to apprehend Coke and restore law and order to the West Kingston community and its environs.
Questioned on the issue by Garth McBean, QC, the attorney for the commission, Ellington said he had no report as to what number of those who were killed had been shooting at the police.
He had testified earlier that damage to JCF assets as a result of the operation had been calculated at $126 million. And that the list of finds associated with the operation (apart from guns, ammunition and explosives) included police radios, denim similar to that worn by police, gun holster, seven licence plates — including a diplomatic licence plate — and eight ballistic vests.