El Chapo Trial Pushed Back Until November 2018

NEW YORK POST– The trial of accused drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman will now begin in November, two months later than scheduled.

The delay comes after lawyers for the cartel leader requested an additional five months to go over evidence, claiming that federal prosecutors overseeing the case had been “sandbagging” them with belated information dumps. Prosecutors had argued for only a one-month delay.

Brooklyn federal Justice Brian Cogan agreed to a two-month delay Monday and said jury selection in Guzman’s case will now begin Nov. 5.

Federal Judge Threatens To Block El Chapo’s ‘Drug’ Money From Paying For Lawyers


NBC New York –Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman walked into federal court in Brooklyn and immediately waved to his wife and twin daughters, who were sitting in the second row, then sat as a judge refused to guarantee the government wouldn’t at some point seize any fees private lawyers would receive for legal services.

The Mexican drug lord’s lawyers, including noted criminal defense attorney Jeff Lichtman, who successfully defended the son of mob scion John Gotti, had sought assurances that if they came into the case, the government wouldn’t later seize their fees as part of the $14 billion alleged drug money it wants to collect from Guzman.

The private lawyers said they want to take the case off the hands of public defenders, that they want to lift the burden from taxpayers’ shoulders, but they need to be compensated.

They didn’t get any promises. 

U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan told them at Monday’s hearing that they would have to take that risk if they wanted to represent him. 

Afterward, the lawyers told reporters that they still want to find a way to represent Guzman. He has pleaded not guilty to charges of running a drug trafficking cartel that laundered billions of dollars and oversaw murders and kidnappings.

Lichtman also said after court that Guzman would be able to spend time with his family Thursday for the first time in seven months. Guzman frequently turned to stare at his family throughout his 15-minute hearing Monday. He appeared emotional at times. 

Guzman is set to go on trial in New York next year. Cogan refused to flex the trial start date at Monday’s hearing. He told the private lawyers if they wanted to take the risk in defending Guzman to “do it soon,” adding “I am not going to put the April trial date in jeopardy because you complain that you didn’t have enough time to prepare.” 

Lichtman has yet to file a “notice of appearance” officially saying he is Guzman’s new lawyer, though Guzman has retained him.

Wow! Looks like the Feds ain’t playing with “El Chapo” at all. He fought tooth & nail to get transferred to the US to face his charges, but it looks like that plan is slowly crumbling like foil. Especially if the judge blocks that money.

Prior to hiring his own counsel, he was using public defenders to defend his case. 

Join the discussion.

Wives Of El Chapo’s Cartel Say They Regret The Lives Their Husbands Lived

FloresWives
The “Flores wives” speak out against the cartel in Fox News interview

Wives of the newly released book, “Cartel Wives” speak out to denounce the former lifestyle in which their ex-husbands, who were twin brothers, allegedly made billions of dollars for the Sinaloa cartel — under the reign of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman.

The wives, who spoke exclusively to Fox News’ Catherine Herridge in full disguise, say they live in constant fear of retaliation by the cartel. The formerly kept women are now kept under witness protection as their husbands became federal informants for the US government in the highly publicized upcoming trial against Guzman for his alleged international drug crimes.

The trial is set to begin April of 2018.

The wives who have assumed the alias names of Mia and Olivia Flores, say they are deeply regretful for the lives that their ex-husbands led and they hope that by telling their stories it will help mend the devastation that the “cartel life” caused to communities and families.