Japanese Woman Undergoing Surgery Badly Injured After Passing Gas & Igniting Fire In Operating Room

A woman in Tokyo, Japan, who was undergoing an operation was seriously burned when she passed gas.

According to The Straits Times, the fire occurred at Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15.

The patient, who is in her 30’s, was undergoing an operation on her cervix. During the surgery, she passed gas, and it ignited the irradiation of the laser that was being used.

The woman sustained burn injuries to most of her body, including her waist and legs, the Strait Times reports.

A committee of experts not affiliated with the hospital reviewed the case and released their report on Oct. 28. According to the experts, there were no flammable materials present in the operation room at the time, and the equipment did not malfunction.

The Straits Times obtained the report which said:

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”

The incident was initially reported in the Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper.

 

Advertisements

Join the Discussion

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s